Saturday, August 02, 2008

If anybody has ever been a victim of identity theft, I feel your pain. I first found out that someone had used my social security number in March to file a tax return. As a result, my refund was put on hold until they could figure out for the real slim shady to please stand up. They told me that I should be receiving a letter in the mail to confirm my identity in 4-6 weeks. Well that time came and went and I called again. They said to wait another 4-6 weeks. To make a long and dull story short, it is now 5 months later and I still have not heard from the IRS. I have contacted them multiple times and have only been told to wait and that they were working on it. And this supposed economic stimulus check we all were supposed to receive has also been put on hold due to the fact that my refund hasn't been processed....double whammy. Now the same people are attempting to open up credit cards with my information but luckily I have fraud alerts on my credit file. I had to file police reports and make so many phone calls. It is truly exhausting. I'm hoping I will have a resolution AND my refund by the end of the year. If anyone has any tips or words of encouragement I would greatly appreciate it!

1 comments:

jiggins said...

Yea.. this is not a fun situation. It will all work out in the end, even if it is taking forever , and you will have learned something great from it. Hang in there.